Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Power of Interactive Notebooks (Free Tutorial!)

Back in the days of being a student, I remember hating taking notes. Like, capital H Hate. If I could somehow manage to make my ADHD brain follow along, I still didn't enjoy it. When I got to college, I had enough responsibility in my veins to do it without being required to do so, simply because I knew that I could pass a test if I had previously written the information down.

Meaningful notetaking has been a lingering notion for me but until recently I couldn't really figure out a way to teach it well. It's easy to require it and it's easy to plan it, but I want my students to make a strong connection between the process and their success. A student with a disability needs to understand that organization and having a process is another way to compensate and overcome a disability. You with me?

So I start like this, I have them physically make a notebook. We have spirals but I don't want any ol' spiral. I want this to a special project as we begin a unit on geometry. My students enjoy making them (even if it takes us a few minutes).

Start with a few sheets of paper (more or less depending on how much content will go in to the notebook). It's always better to plan an extra page or so as it's easier to waste half a page than try to attach one. Fold them hamburger style and staple.

No comments:

Post a Comment